WESTON CREEK COMMUNITY COUNCIL
your local voice
Postal Address: PO Box 3701 Weston Creek ACT 2611
Phone: 6288 8975
Fax: 6288 9179
Minutes of Monthly Meeting
Meet the Candidates
28 January 1998
Bob Sutherland welcomed the candidates for Molonglo, members of the
public and the committee. Mr Sutheralnd advised the candidates that a random draw would be
made to determine the order of speaking and each candidate had 3 minutes. Questions from
the audience would be taken after all candidates had spoken.
A motion to agree to endorse the expenditure for the publicity for this
meeting of $750 was needed . This was moved by Jeff Carl and seconded by Jocelyn Murphy.
3. Candidates attending.
The candidates in Molonglo who attended were:
Bull, Sue Democratic Socialists
Burke, Jacqui Liberal
Carnell, Kate Liberal
Coats, Jim Democrats
Corbell, Simon ALP
Cornwell, Greg Liberal
Dawson, Allan Shooters Party
Dyer, Nick Independent
Errery, Jane Democrats
Garth, Steve ALP
Humphries, Gary Liberal
Kellet, Joan Independent
Le Couteur, Caroline Greens
McEwan, Melissa Democrats
McMurty, Tania ALP
Moore, Michael Independent
Quinlan, Ted ALP
Rees, Jacqui Independent
Reilly, Marion ALP
Tucker, Kerrie Greens
4. Order of Speaking
Numbers were allocated to candidates and these were randomly drawn. The
order of speaking was;
14 Le Couteur
5 Questions from the audience.
Questions were directed to individual candidates, the main parties or
all candidates. The issues raised covered:
- direct bus route between Canberra College campuses - the Weston Campus to the Philip
campus. Questioned answered by Kate Carnell -it will be looked at.
- youth age group - where are the facilities?, what age groups can use them? when are we
to be consulted? question answered by Gary Humphries in regard to the proposed Youth
recreation facilities in Weston Creek. The recent press coverage showed the need for
politicians and bureaucrats to consult and listen with regard to location and the
facilities. This should include a wide range of options as well as Greg Cornwells
suggestion of section 22. Marion Rielly indicated that the ALP also supported facilities
for youth in Weston Creek. Kate Carnell indicated the youth facility would include tennis
practice, half basketball and skateboards.
- Bus routes - questions were asked about the poor timetable and lack of well planed bus
routes. the question was answered by Nick Dyer, Simon Corbell, Kate Carnell and Kerrie
- Question on a number of issues to Gary Humphries and Kate Carnell - why was the Fisher
pre-school demolished? why has the swimming pool not been built in Weston Creek - why is
the police response time so slow?
- Term of Government - question to Kate Carnell - why not extend the term of office. The
next term will be 3 yrs and 10mths. The election will be in October.
- Commitment to community services - addressed to Liberal and ALP. Will Weston Creek
retain a locally based community service. There was a commitment by both parties that
community services would continue to be available to Weston Creek residents.
- Facilities for Weston Creek - question to Gary Humphries - The WCCC had lobbied for
provision of a swimming pool facility, a library and athletics field, all these are funded
activities, and feasibility studies in the draft capital works program; yet none are in
Weston Creek? response - Weston Creek residents need to understand the competitive process
in the allocation of the infrastructure in Canberra and decisions are made on that basis,
however there is agreement that these are still at the feasibility stage in the capital
- School ovals - a question was directed at Kate Carnell on the poor and unusable
condition of school ovals in Weston Creek - when will these be fixed? response - there is
a need to assure that the ovals being maintained are a high priority for sport and
recreational purposes and have heavy use. There is the possibility of ACTEW using gray
- Euthanasiaa question to Michael Moore - would he re-introduce his bill into the next
Assembly response - yes.
- Funding for the WCCC - to all candidates. This was endorsed by Liberal, ALP, Democrats,
Greens, Dyer and Moore Independents.
- Footpaths - question to Kate Carnell on upkeep of footpaths in the suburbs. response - a
maintenance program has been developed on a needs and priority basis and ACT City Services
would welcome a call on areas of concern.
Meeting closed 10.15pm
Next Meeting 25th February 1998 Canberra Parks -
a district park for Weston Creek
March 25th ACTION - new routes and timetable in Weston Creek.