Minister for Territory and Municipal Services, Shane Rattenbury, invites Chapman residents and other interested stakeholders to view and comment on preliminary sketch plans for the upgrade of Chapman shops.
Click image to enlarge
Mr Rattenbury said the upgrade is part of the ACT Government’s ongoing program of improving public amenity of local shops across the city.
“I’m pleased to announce the preliminary sketch plans for the upgrade of Chapman shops have now been developed following input from the Chapman community, traders, lessees and government stakeholders,” said Mr Rattenbury.
“A drop-in consultation session will be held between 10 am and 12 noon on Saturday 6 April 2013 for the community to view the plans, ask questions of the project team and provide feedback.”
The preliminary design recommends:
- improvements to pedestrian access and safety into and around the shops;
- enhanced public amenity through street furniture, landscaping and a dedicated community gathering space;
- improved lighting in the car park and adjacent areas; upgrades to parking areas for people with a disability;
- provision of a dedicated loading zone;
- widened footpaths;
- improved access to the bus stop;
- upgrades to the drainage system at the southern entrance to the shops and installation of a drinking fountain.
“In the past three years, the ACT Government has upgraded shopping centres at Ainslie, Scullin, Lyons, Garran and Deakin. Construction is also underway to upgrade the Farrer, Waramanga and Red Hill shopping centres.
“I encourage all people who use Chapman shops to provide their valuable feedback on the preliminary sketch plans during the consultation period, which runs until Friday 3 May 2013. Anyone who cannot attend the drop in session can view the plans and provide feedback at Woden Library or online at www.timetotalk.act.gov.au,” Mr Rattenbury said.
Click for photo sketch impression
DROP IN CONSULTATION SESSION:
WHAT: Chapman shops preliminary sketch plans drop-in consultation session
WHEN: 10 am to 12 noon, Saturday 6 April 2013
WHERE: Chapman Shops, Perry Drive, Chapman